Feis Cup, Round 2. Skryne 3-08 Navan O’Mahonys 1-03

Skryne ease to victory in drab affair

Skryne 3-08 Navan O’Mahonys 1-03

Feis Cup – Round 2

The bite of winter could be felt in Simonstown yesterday evening as Skryne and O’Mahonys faced off against each other in Round 2 of the Feis Cup. The Feis Cup has lost some of it’s prestige in recent years and last night’s game felt like an end of season run out. While the first half was entertaining, the second half was anything but, with most in attendance including the players relieved to hear the final whistle.

Skryne opened the scoring inside the first minute when Harry Rooney was dragged back as he made a trademark run at the heart of the O’Mahonys defence. Paddy O’Rourke tapped over the free to get Skryne off the mark. A little over a minute later, Conor O’Brien made a mazy run down the left wing making it past his marker as he reached the endline. He squared the ball across to Paddy Fox who had burst into the penalty area. Fox managed to get a glancing fist on the ball, which deflected into the path of Ronan McCabe who volleyed superbly to the net. O’Mahonys opened their account on the fifth minute before Mark Batts bagged Skryne’s second point a sidefooted effort from the right hand side. O’Mahonys pulled a goal back as the half moved towards the midway point, when they moved the ball around to the left corner forward who smashed home from a tight angle. Skryne replied almost immediately when an Eoin Smyth pointed effort struck the posts and landed in the hands of Ronan McCabe who struck a fine shot lo to the right bottom corner of the O’Mahonys net for Skryne’s second goal. Skryne added further points, two from Paddy O’Rourke(1 x 45) and one each for Patrick Fox and Mark Battersby. O’Mahonys replied with two points of their own, the last coming on the 24th Minute. Amazingly, this was to be their last score of the game. Ronan McCabe almost bagged a hat-trick as he blasted narrowly wide on the stroke of half-time. The half time score was Skryne 2-06, Navan O’Mahonys 1-03.

So on to the second half we went and it wasn’t until the fifteenth minute of the half that the opening score arrived as both teams struggled to get any foothold in a game which had deteriorated into a drab affair for the spectators. Darragh Campion broke the deadlock and sent over what looked like the only score of the half. The remaining scores, a goal and a point came in the last minute of the game when all hope of seeing another score had all but dissipated. Conor O’Brien hit the back of the net from close range and Darragh Campion got a second point to complete the scoring. Final Score: Skryne 3-08, Navan O’Mahonys 1-03.

Skryne – Ian Gillette; Robbie Clarke, Stephen O’Brien, Declan Morley; Niall Lenehan, Ciarán Lenehan, Eoin Smyth; David McGoldrick, Harry Rooney; Conor O’Brien (1-00), Mark Battersby(0-02), Patrick Fox (0-01); Darragh Campion (0-02), Paddy O’Rourke (0-3, 1f,1 45), Ronan McCabe (2-00).

Subs: Jason Reddy, Darren Fox, Jason Fox, David Carroll, Neil Burke, Mark Harrington

Fancy a flutter!! Why not play Skryne GFC’s online BLOTTO. Jackpots of up to €10,000. Go to


About the Author: The Webmaster

Comments are closed.


Club Shop

Club Policies & Procedures

Health and Wellbeing

Play Our Blotto online

Pay Your membership online

Sign up for our Newsletter

Skryne GFC Facebook Page