Premier Football Championship. Division 5, Final. Syddan 2-13 Skryne 2-11

Disappointment for Skryne’s third team in Premier Division 5 final

Syddan 2-13 Skryne 2-11

Premier Football Championship. Division 5, Final.

Skryne’s third team never got going in yesterday’s final in Pairc Tailteann as Syddan outgunned them for most of the game, only letting Skryne back into it in the final quarter.

Conditions were perfect in Pairc Tailteann with the pitch looking superb as always. The Covid restrictions were in place and so a crowd of 200 were able to attend hoping for an epic battle between the men from Syddan in their famous green and gold striped jerseys and Skryne in their equally famous royal blue strip.

Skryne started without midfielder Kevin Reilly(who did come in just before half-time) who had been struggling with an injury all week. His midfield partner Alex Grendon did start but he too was carrying a niggling back injury. Regular full-back Tomás McKeown lined out at midfield while corner back Conor Whelan took up the full-back role with Paul Clarke coming into the starting lineup at corner back.

With all the enforced switches, coupled with early nerves, Skryne struggled to get out of the blocks and with Gary Farrelly of Syddan in scintillating form, Syddan had racked up a 6 point lead when the referee blew for the first half water break with Syddan leading by 0-07 to 0-01, with Farrelly accounting for 5 of these points(3 frees). Shane Carpenter, who caused problems for the Skryne rearguard all day, hit a fine point from the left hand side near the sideline and Ben Blakemore tapped over after James Farrelly fielded a high ball in the Skryne penalty area before laying off to Blakemore who could have took a shot at goal but settled for a point. Skryne’s only point of the quarter came from a free from Felim O’Rourke on the 40 after Ciaran Finnerty was bundled over while trying to break forward.

Skryne had a bright opening in the second quarter with Felim O’Rourke hitting his second of the game, this time from play when he hoisted over a long range point from the right hand side. Skryne Manager David Harrington brought on one of his young guns, David Rathbourne and he was to make an immediate impact when he struck a fine low shot from the 21 yard line, that left the keeper with no chance as it rattled the back of the Syddan net. Skryne were back in the game with only 2 points now separating the sides. However, they didn’t capitalise on this momentum and it was Syddan who struck next, first a point from Eoin Lynch Duff, before Shane Carpenter ran at the Skryne defence from the left hand side before unleashing an unstoppable shot to the roof of the Skryne net. Darren Smith added the final point of the half for Syddan with a tapover from inside the Skryne penalty area. Half-time score: Syddan 1-09, Skryne 1-02.

Shane Carpenter opened the second half scoring for Syddan with his second point of the game. Skryne hit back with Felim O’Rourke adding another free, before Seán Keogh burst forward and struck a fine point on the run. Skryne had an excellent goal chance saved by the Syddan keeper when David Rathbourne, Aidan Gill and Brian Smyth combined before Smyth’s shot from the ground was parried away for a 45 by Ciarán Farrelly in the Syddan goal. Felim O’ Rourke added another free for Skryne, but Eoin Lynch Duff added a brace of points as Syddan continued to keep Skryne at arms length. Another pointed free from Felim O’Rourke left a 6 point gap as the game paused for the second half water break.

The fourth quarter was Skryne’s best as they fought hard to try and overhaul the Syddan men. Syddan opened the scoring with Shane Carpenter converting a free. Skryne then hit 3 points without a reply, Felim O’Rourke with a brace and Ciarán Finnerty adding another when he struck a fine effort from the left hand side. The deficit was down to 4 points but disaster struck as the game moved towards the half hour mark when a Syddan goal bound shot was blocked by the Skryne defence, but that man Shane Carpenter was on hand to finish the rebound to the net with a soccer style shot low to the bottom corner of the net. Skryne did reply with a goal of their own when Tomás Mc Keown palmed in from close range after Skryne had lofted a ball into the Syddan penalty area. Felim O’Rourke added 2 more pointed frees as Skryne reduced the deficit to 2 points, but it was too little, too late as the Syddan men rand out deserved victors on a scoreline of 2-13 to 2-11.

Hard luck to the Skryne lads. However, both of Skryne’s reserve teams made it to finals this year and that has got to be a positive sign, along with the fact that Skryne are able to field 3 adult teams who all played at a high level.

Hopefully next year we will be able to bag a trophy!

Well done to the lads from Syddan who were worthy winners on the day and were the first team to lift the trophy named after former Skryne and Meath legend Micheál O’Brien.

Skryne – Gary Browne; Paddy O’Leary, Conor Whelan, Paul Clarke; Paul McGoldrick, Ciarán Finnerty(0-1), Liam Gill; Tomás McKeown(1-0), Alex Grendon; Jack O’ Donnell, Felim O’Rourke(0-9, 7 frees), Seán Cassidy; Aidan Gill, Brian Smyth, Martin Mulvany.
Subs used: David Rathbourne(1-0), Seán Keogh(0-1), Kevin Reilly, Niall Morland, Allan Carty

Syddan – Ciarán Farrelly; Anthony Smith, Tommy Meade, Cathal Duff; Peter Sheehy, Andrew White, Michael Sweeney; Robbie Farrelly, Gary McManus; Eoin Lynch Duff(0-3), Shane Carpenter (2-03, 1f), Jodi Donoghue; Ben Blakemore(0-1), James Farrelly, Gary Farrelly(0-5, 3fs).

Subs used: Darren Smith(0-1), Conor Meade, Dominic Carry



Fancy a flutter!! Why not play Skryne GFC’s online BLOTTO. Jackpots of up to €10,000. Go to www.locallotto.ie/SkryneGFC


About the Author: The Webmaster

Comments are closed.

Play Our Blotto online


Pay Your membership online

Pitch Booking

Club Shop

Health and Wellbeing

Club Policies & Procedures

Skryne GFC Facebook Page