U16 Summer League Semi final. Navan O’ Mahonys 7-05 Skryne 4-09

Skryne fall just short in Under 16 Summer League Semi-final

Navan O’ Mahonys 7-05    Skryne 4-09

U16 Football Summer League, Division 2 – Semi Final

The Skryne and Navan O’ Mahonys Under 16s competed in a pulsating encounter in Paddy O’ Brien Park this evening in the semi-final of the Division 2 Summer League. Conditions were ideal and the pitch was in perfect condition. It was a game full of goals and it was the goals that won it in the end for O’Mahonys.

O’ Mahonys got off to a flying start in this game when they opened the scoring with a punched point from a dangerous highball into the Skryne penalty area. Straight from the kick-out O’Mahonys got the first of their 7 goals when they returned the ball with interest to the Skryne net. Skryne replied with 2 points from Craig Nolan, 1 a free before O’Mahonys won a questionable free on the 40 yard line. Skryne were not alive to the quick free which was delivered to the O’Mahony’s big midfielder who was running from deep. On receiving the ball the No. 8 galloped forward and planted the ball past the hapless Liam Gill. Skryne picked themselves up from this setback and worked their way back into the game with another point from Craig Nolan before a Padraig Finnerty shot at goal was palmed down by the O’Mahony’s goalkeeper into the path of the incoming Frank Carty who finished to the net. From the kick-out Skryne’s Sean Byrne broke the ball down and a quick ball was released to Craig Nolan who notched up his fourth point of the game. Skryne took the lead for the first time when they won a penalty on 27 minutes. Frank Carty stepped up and made no mistake finishing low to the keeper’s right. Skryne went 4 points up with 2 minutes to go in the half when Colm Doherty pointed after Sean Byrne won possession at midfield. Skryne hit the self destruct button at the end of the half when they gave away possession in their own half back line and were severely punished when O’Mahonys broke forward and finished the ball to the Skryne net for their third goal in the half. From the kickout O’Mahonys won possession and worked the ball into the Skryne penalty area where they won a penalty after their man was dragged down. Their full forward stepped up and slammed the ball into the top-right corner to give O’Mahonys the lead at half-time. Half-time score: O’Mahonys 4-01 Skryne 2-05.

Skryne were slow to get started in the second half and after 4 minutes found themselves further behind when O’Mahonys lofted a high ball towards the Skryne goal. Liam Gill was unable to hold the ball and an O’Mahony’s forward who seemed to have been right on top of Liam when the ball arrived, finished to the net. Skryne replied 2 minutes later with a goal of their own when Robbie Clarke delivered a ball into Frank Carty who broke the ball to the onrushing  Padraig Finnerty who fired a fine shot past the O’Mahony’s goalkeeper. Robbie Clarke won the resultant kickout and underhit an effort at goal which bounced in front of the keeper and went over the bar. O’Mahonys got only their second point of the game in the ninth minute of the half after a good move downfield. Skryne pushed forward again and Colm Doherty won a free in the left corner. The ball was moved across the field to Craig Nolan who slotted over his fifth point. Skryne levelled things up again when Robbie Clarke made a burst into the O’Mahony’s penalty area and moved across the goalmouth with 2 defenders in pursuit. Robbie had a chance to go for goal but correctly took his point to even the scores at O’Mahonys 5-02 Skryne 3-08. O’Mahonys to their credit responded well with a good point from play followed by another which was pointed after an O’Mahonys forward received the ball from a short 45. O’Mahonys almost notched up another goal when a goalmouth scramble saw Liam Gill save not once but twice from 2 efforts on his goal. Skryne survived this scare.

There was a break in play on the 49th minute when Frank Carty picked up an injury which held the game up for several minutes. Thankfully Frankie resumed play. Skryne took a sideline ball infield and Padraig Finnerty fired over another point to narrow the gap to one. O’Mahony’s extended their lead to 2 again a minute later with another point from play after winning a Skryne kickout. Skryne then moved the ball quickly up field with a sweeping move involving Colm Craigie who broke the ball to Frankie Carty. Frankie completed his hat-trick with a fine finish. Skryne were now ahead by 1 with 3 minutes left and composure was needed. However, as at the end of the first half, Skryne self-destructed again. Loose defending from the Skryne defence saw the O’Mahonys full forward find himself in acres of space with the goal at his mercy. He made no mistake and finished with a rocket to the net. Unfortunately, the Skryne kickout was misplaced into the hands of an O’Mahony’s forward inside the 21 yard line and he too finished to the net for a second goal inside a minute. O’Mahonys now had a 5 point lead with the clock hitting 60 minutes. Skryne heads dropped and their fate was sealed.

This was a brave performance from Skryne who deserved more from this game. However, they will rue the defensive errors at the end of each half which ultimately cost them a place in the Final.

Skryne Team: Liam Gill, Jack Dardis, Colm Craigie, Tommy Kelly, Tommy Carpenter, Robbie Clarke(0-02), Dylan Bissett, Sean Byrne, Colm Doherty(0-01), Luke Thorpe, Padraig Finnerty(1-01), Craig Nolan(0-05), Brian Clarke, Frankie Carty(3-00), Eoghan Quinn. Subs Used: Lloyd Carolan, Shane Dowling

Fancy a flutter!! Why not play Skryne GFC’s online BLOTTO. Jackpots of up to €10,000. Go to


About the Author: The Webmaster

Comments are closed.

Pay Your membership online


Pitch Booking

Club Shop

Play Our Blotto online

Health and Wellbeing

Club Policies & Procedures

Skryne GFC Facebook Page